We will collect and use individual user details only where we have a legitimate reason and are legally entitled to do so in accordance with data privacy laws including the UK Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act). For the purposes of the Act, the Data Controller for the Beanstalk website is Beanstalk, Charity House, 14-15 Perseverance Works, 38 Kingsland Road, London E2 8DD.Beanstalk is a registered charity (Charity No: 296454) and a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales (Company number: 2101719).
2 What information will Beanstalk collect?
• We collect information through your use of the Beanstalk website <www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk> (the Beanstalk website) including when you register with the Beanstalk website, make a donation, complete a volunteer or other online application form, carry out a transaction using a Beanstalk commission code, sign up to a Beanstalk scheme, event or other online services such as our e-newsletter, Twitter feed, Facebook or Vimeo group, [discussion forum], sales promotions or competitions, or when you report a problem with the Beanstalk website.
• Apart from the volunteer application process which may request detailed personal and/or sensitive information from you, the information retained by us will usually be your name, contact details, date of birth, bank account details to process donations and whether or not you are a UK tax payer so that Beanstalk can claim gift aid. Where we request other sensitive personal data from you, we will provide you with clear notice of this and an explanation as to why the information is needed.
• Please be aware that if you contact us by telephone, letter, fax, email or via a social media website (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo or via Skype), we may keep a record of that correspondence.
• If you login to the Beanstalk website using a Facebook, Twitter or Vimeo login, you grant permission to Facebook, Twitter or Vimeo to share your user details. This may include your name, email address, user name, date of birth, location and any other information you have chosen to share according to your Facebook, Twitter or Vimeo account settings. This information will be stored securely on the Beanstalk website.
• Please note, in order to monitor browsing activity and user patterns, we may also retain details of your visits to our site including traffic data, location data, web logs and other communication data and the resources that you access. We may also collect information about your computer, such as your IP address, which is a unique identification number allocated to each individual computer or other network device.
3 How will Beanstalk store my personal information?
• Beanstalk uses the information we collect about you in order to understand more about how our website is used, and to be able to send you communications that may be of interest to you.
• All the information you provide to us will be stored on secure servers and any payment transactions will be encrypted. We will do our best to protect your personal data, however we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
• We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, for example we will keep a record of donations for at least seven years
4 How will Beanstalk use my personal information?
• Beanstalk will use your personal information in a number of ways including:
(a) To monitor and improve the services we offer on the Beanstalk website.
(b) To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have agreed to receive it.
(c) To respond to any correspondence you have entered into with us whether by letter, email, fax, social media or other means and contact you in relation to donations, application forms or other online content you have signed up for;
(d) To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
(e) To invite you to participate in surveys, research or other interactive features.
(f) To notify you about any changes or updates to our service, that may affect you.
• Beanstalk may, from time to time, ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, however you do not have to respond to these.
5 Will Beanstalk disclose my information to anyone?
• We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which it was obtained, unless you have given us your permission to share that information with others. With your permission, we will only share your information with selected third parties.
• Selected third parties may wish to use your data to provide you with information about goods or services which may be of interest to you. You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain tick boxes on the forms and web-pages we use to collect your data.
• We will keep your personal data confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies for tax purposes or law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime, subject to such bodies providing us with a relevant request in writing) or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Beanstalk, our users, or other third parties.
• If you post or send offensive or defamatory content to or anywhere on the Beanstalk website, we may use your personal information to prevent such behaviour. Where Beanstalk reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of any of laws, we may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your internet provider or a law enforcement agencies about the content.
• In order to provide you with a good service, Beanstalk reserves the right to disclose your personal information to other group companies, including its subsidiary Beanstalk Trading Limited in accordance with section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
7 Access to information
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
9 Legal information and contacting us